Wednesday, July 17, 2013

$7 Chandelier Update.

I've grown tired of the chandeliers in my kitchen. They were once the jewel of the kitchen and now I would love to replace them with something a little more modern vs traditional. However, I can't have it all and it's not high on the list of priorities right now so I'll live with them. I'm okay with that, especially since I just replaced my dining room light.

I did however give them a simple update today that has appeased me a little. First of all, my mom has casually mentioned a few times that I should give them a good clean but I never took much pass at her comments. Today however, I stood on a step stool and gave them a look. I was horrified by what I saw. So so dusty that they almost appeared grey. I then spent an hour wiping down each arm and crystal with a wet cloth. Quite pleased with myself, I took a step back and admired my shiny fixtures. They looked brand new. (You were totally right Mom!)



I then noticed that a couple of the bulbs were burned out so off I went to the store to buy more. However, I came home with something a little different.

What, I wondered, would they look like with round bulbs instead of the traditional ones? I love round bulbs but I was unsure if I would make them work in my chandeliers.

A quick google search and I discovered that Traci Zeller just did a post about how such a simple change can update your fixture in seconds. How did I miss that? Smart girl. And with that, I was off to the cash with my round bulbs.

Voila!





It feels fresh and much more fun than with the traditional candelabra bulbs. I think I'll keep them. And clean them a little more often. How embarrassing..

Less than $10 and a little elbow grease. Did you catch my seat cushion update on Monday? What else can I update this week with little or no money?

6 comments:

  1. Love the round bulbs, Jane! Pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always forget to dust light fixtures! Love the round bulbs, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is something sooooo wonderful about those round bulbs! Great update :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a surprise to find that such a small change makes such a nice difference! A bit more contemporary feel to that traditional fixture now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. such a little change but it makes such a good difference :)

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you! Thanks so much :)