Tuesday, September 18, 2012

DIY Herringbone Table Runner.


In the last couple of weeks, I've had two emails inquiring about the herringbone table runner that I made for our styled shoot that was featured on Style Me Pretty. If you follow my Facebook page, you may have spotted in on my cover photo. I decided to share a little tutorial for you all today because it was really quite simple!


At the time, I was obsessed with anything herringbone. I saw it as a fresher take on the tiresome (sorry!) chevron and was dying to try it somehow and somewhere. I'm glad it ended up on a table runner and not a big wall in my house. That's commitment but I'm telling you, I was obsessed! Anyhoo, I digress! Let's get to it!

DIY Herringbone Tutorial

First, I purchased some hot pink fabric with matched the color scheme of the wedding. I knew the dimensions of the table we were using so I planned the length accordingly. (Disclaimer.. I wouldn't recommend this but I didn't even sew the runner. I knew if was just for photos, so I simply ironed a nice flat seam on all four edges.)


Next, I taped a herringbone pattern with painters tape right on the fabric. Here are my instructions for taping:

1. Find the middle of your fabric and tape a straight line down the center. I then added another strip on either side because I wanted a thick line. I also taped a strip on each side.


2. You should also decide how deep you would like your chevrons to be. Do you want a somewhat subtle look or a perky look? Totally a personal preference. Let's say you decide you want them 10 inches apart. Start at the top and mark off every 10 inches. Then, tape from one little mark diagonally down to the next mark. Repeat on the other side. Push down all the edges of the tape with your fingernail. Take a few minutes but you'll be glad you did!


3. Next up - painting! I did 3 coats using a gold acrylic craft paint. (Tried a foam roller first but found a brush worked much better)


4. Let it dry overnight then peel off the tape to reveal a modern, geometric pattern. Thankfully, I only had one little bleed!

So there you have it! A modern geometric pattern with a little tape and some paint. Who every said you couldn't paint fabric? It was so easy that I ended up adding a the same technique to some napkins as well! 





Be sure to share your painted fabric projects with me! The possibilities are endless. So many colors, patterns, stencils to work with!


13 comments:

  1. This looks great...and I love love love the added detail on the napkins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just terrific, Jane! Congrats on the feature :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for posting this! You make it look so simple, so I'm hoping it is :)

    Makes me very excited to start trying to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I'm impressed that you covered your table with a plastic sheet - mine probably would have ended up with gold paint all over it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for showing us how you made the runner! Loved this shoot on style me pretty! I'm an event designer from Toronto so this post is perfect for me :) I know you're a teacher, do you do event styling as a hobby?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous. Love the pink and gold :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, so pretty! Would it be possible to find out where the napkins were purchased from?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea! Where did you get those polka dot napkins???

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so fun Jane! And such a fun color palette you worked with for this event.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh wow this looks absolutely gorgeous. Must make this at once. The colors look so good together. I'm obsessed with the herringbone pattern cant get enough.
    I made this tabe in the herringbone pattern .Here's the link http://deliciousanddiy.wordpress.com/2013/12/26/herringbone-table-trolley-makeover/

    Now i'm off to make this beautiful runner.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the tutorial! The runner and napkins look absolutely FAB! Is your silverware DIY gold dipped??

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you! Thanks so much :)