Monday, March 19, 2012

Bedroom Makeover ~ Headboard.

I'm on March Break! Aside from a trip to Halifax for some shopping and good eats this upcoming weekend, I am around home all week working on some projects. Two rooms on the agenda are the dining room and a bedroom. Thankfully, I have a little help with the painting!

My fabric arrived from Tonic Living, and this weekend I got to work on the upholstered headboard for the bedroom. I had a headboard that I had made years ago. It was my first diy project ever! I striped off the old fabric and kept the foam and batting. Then, got to work ironing the new fabric. Rich navy blue!


I did run into a few problems of course. It's not a diy without a few headaches! I had Steph make some angled cuts on each side. As we started trying to staple the fabric around those angles, we had nothing but wrinkles and puckering (not to mention rising tempers, mostly on my part).


Off came the fabric and batting and he cut bigger angles in the corners. The first ones were a little too tight for the fabric to lay flat and this time, it was much easier! I worked alone this time.. I needed some cooling off time. Plus, I like having control of the staple gun:)

I'm still going to add nail head trim but here it is so far. (Speaking of.. I need a Canadian source for the kits. Lee Valley has them but only in silver and gold. I'm thinking antiqued bronze. Anyone??)


I'm so anxious to get going! I'm cleaning out the room today and Steph is going to paint. Back soon with some progress!

20 comments:

  1. Beautiful Jane. Love the upholstery you chose. Great colour!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful job! I love the shape you chose. We recently did a diy headboard and love it. It's amazing how it doesn't cost that much money to do it yourself. :) We weren't as brave and did a basic rectangle..lol Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be excited to see end result! i will have to make one for the new spot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be reading my mind! I have a bunch of navy blue velvet waiting to make a headboard for my bedroom!!! (Just have to finish my kitchen first!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh i love it! it is going to look so dramatic! we have a navy blue headboard in our guest room and i just love it- it's sophisticated, dramatic, but still soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excited to see it with the nail heads!! looks great:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I can't wait to see it all done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's such a beautiful colour! I can't wait to see how it turns out with the nail head trim!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That blue velvet fabric is divine!
    Can't wait to see when it's all done:)

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you guys make it look so easy! I can't wait to see the new 'reveal'. Thanks for visiting my blog today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great! Can't wait to see more of your projects :) Enjoy your week off!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes to Navy blue with nailhead. She's going to be a stunner. Hoping someone comes through with a source for you. I'll be checking back to see the answer for myself!
    :)

    Camille

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhh...the headboard you tweeted about. I bought nailheads at a local interior design/fabric shop. Do you have one around? or check online?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, you guys did an amazing job! Love the navy blue, its going to look perfect with a bronze nail head trim, wish I knew a good source for that here..

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know a source either, but would spray painting the nail heads work? (Since you have help with the painting anyway)?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've ordered upholstery supplies from Beacon Fabrics & Notions before. They are based in the states but I think they might ship to Canada-- worth a try! They've got nailhead trim kits in a brass finish. I've never used this trim kit myself-- but it looks good online!

    http://www.beaconfabric.com/vindex.html?cat148.htm

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi! I love your style and blog! If you're still looking for nailhead trim kit, they sell them at Fabricville in Charlottetown. I also live on the Island have been looking for a kit for a couch I'm redoing. I've checked this post a few times to see if anyone else had found some, but yesterday was my lucky day!

    ReplyDelete