Tuesday, September 20, 2011

White Painted Floor ~ Part 1

So let me start by explaining my last post... before some of my family and friends have a heart attack. I am NOT painting my recently refinished hardwood floors! However, we are painting the wood floor in Steph's kitchen and so far it's amazing. I'm so excited about it!
So here is the scoop. The entire house is wood floors but the ones in the kitchen had taken a severe beating over the course of it's 104 year history. To make things worse, when he remodeled the kitchen, he moved the island to a different location and underneath the old one was not a pretty sight!

The floors were not refinishable and therefore he was left with a choice. Replace or Paint? His vote was for paint and I was 100% on board. This is a project he and I have wanted to tackle for a long time. We sometimes even send each other pictures of painted floors, that we've come across, just so we can oooh and ahhh over them. So when the opportunity comes along, just do it!
First was the prep work. Steph filled any holes with Bondo (car body filler) and sanded well. Then he vacuumed every nook and cranny and ran a mop over it. Good to go!


We went along with a paint brush down all the cracks and edging along the wall. 





Then went over everything with a roller. We used an oil-based porch and floor paint, which apparently holds up to heavy foot traffic. It took a lot longer than anticipated but finished one coat last night.

Here it is so far! I think I'm in love!

Sorry for the dark pictures. The sun was setting when we finished. 
Doesn't everything take longer than you expect? 
I can't wait to show you the second coat! 
Have a great day everyone!

25 comments:

  1. wow..now that is a great transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the look!




    Rashon aka Mr. Goodwill Hunting

    ReplyDelete
  3. The floors look amazing!
    My dad always jokes with me that it's about time I paint my floors beings I paint everything else that is wood.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love what you have done with your home. The floors look great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yup, I love it! Can't wait to see it when it's finished!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. given the choice you had, the right one was certainly made. Can't wait for after pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. fab-u-lous! I've always wanted painted wood floors and these look amazing. I bet she can hardly contain her excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! SO clean and bright and fresh. Love it.

    swirlsofhappy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is going to be gorgeous! I love it already! Great idea. The oil based paint your using should hold up great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow- what a difference! Looks fantastic- so clean and crisp!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the white I actually had to paint the floors in my living room and I like them. I do have to re do them the movers messed them up before I could seal them :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Did you have to sand the entire surface, or just where you added the filler?

    It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Amelia. Yes, he sanded just where he put the filler! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am inspired, now. I was apparently mislead by my do-it-yourselfer friends who recently painted their wooden floors. They went through a laborious process that required them to not walk on them for 7 - 10 days. Who has time for that?

    Do you have any idea how long they will last before they need repainted?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Amelia! We walked on them the next day! Well.. 24 hours later:) I think they are going to hold up well and don't plan on repainting them anytime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK, it's been 2 years since you did your floors, how are they holding up? And can you tell me the brand or specific paint you used. We are going to paint our floors but there is quite a bit of talk about good, bad and indifferent. Having done it and having lived with them for some time I would like an honest critique please. Thanks. Oh, and what do you clean them with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I am sorry to butt in here!! BUT I was JUST about to ask the SAME question!! I just made a post on my fb page yesterday about it-I am seriously contemplating painting some of our wood floors-but have to wonder if I would regret it with my family! lol

      Delete
  17. Hi Please let me know how these floors are doing. I am REALLY contemplating painting some of my wood floors but it scares the heck out of me! I need some good advice! Thanks! :D

    ReplyDelete

Love hearing from you! Thanks so much :)